Learn how to create smart objects in Photoshop! Part 1 of my Smart Objects tutorial series.
Watch Part 2: How to EDIT Smart Objects –
► Visit for the text version and PDF of this tutorial.
► Subscribe to my channel:
► Get the latest version of Photoshop CC:
In this video, I show you how to create Smart Objects in Photoshop! You’ll learn how to open a new image in Photoshop as a Smart Object, how to convert an existing layer into a Smart Object, and how to place an image as a Smart Object into your Photoshop document. We’ll also look at how to open raw files as Smart Objects, both from Photoshop’s Camera Raw plugin and from Adobe Lightroom. And we’ll even learn how to place Adobe Illustrator files directly into Photoshop as Smart Objects!
01. What is a Smart Object? (0:39)
02. Convert a layer to a Smart Object (1:23)
03. Open an image as a Smart Object (3:27)
04. Open a raw file as a Smart Object (4:05)
05. Editing the raw file (5:19)
06. Open a raw file as a Smart Object from Lightroom(6:12)
07. Place an image into a document as a Smart Object (7:16)
08. Using Blend Modes with Smart Objects (8:46)
09. Applying the Camera Raw Filter as a Smart Filter (9:03)
10. How to edit a Smart Filter (10:24)
11. Place an Illustrator file into Photoshop as a Smart Filter (11:26)
► Next video: How to EDIT Smart Objects –
► SUBSCRIBE to my channel:
SUPPORT THIS CHANNEL
Help support this channel by becoming a member of Photoshop Essentials and get HUNDREDS of Photoshop tutorials as PDFs!
ABOUT PHOTOSHOP ESSENTIALS
Created by Steve Patterson, Photoshop Essentials offers Adobe Photoshop tutorials designed with beginners in mind, with easy to follow, step by step instructions that make learning Photoshop easy! Subscribe to our channel for our latest Photoshop videos, and check out our website for hundreds of written Photoshop tutorials!
► SUBSCRIBE to Photoshop Essentials on YouTube: